Japanese maple seedlings – Acer palmatum – Green leaf
These seedlings are:
- These seedlings are healthy plants that’s still pliable to be bend.
- Compact internodal lengths.
- They are not suitable for root grafts.
- They are deciduous and in winter lose their leaves.
- In winter they are dormant and will only show new growth in spring. They still need water and light even though they are dormant.
- Winter dormancy is a natural stage that deciduous plants go through during winter. They are still alive even though their metabolic system slowed down and they still need to be watered regularly and need to be cared for like any other living plant.
- Grown in seedling tray plugs.
You can use the seedlings to grow your own bonsai. Plant the seedling in a suitable training pot until August. You can wire the seedling alluminium wire to shape the seedling. Do not work on the roots until August.
In Spring repot the seedling, trim the main root, spread out the smaller roots to form the best nebari (root base) and wire and bend the trunk to your own design.
The attached photos give an idea of the shape of the leaves.
Please note – seedlings will be shipped out of the seed tray wrapped in damp vermiculite and need to be planted as is on arrival into a temporary container with soil. It can be kept in the soil till you are ready to repot it. Ideal repotting time is from July till early September.
The photo is an example of the type and size of plant you will receive and not the actual product. The plug that you will receive will differ from the photo.
When you receive your seedlings plant them into a suitable container.
Place in shaded area and gradually over a 3 day period move them into direct sun. Due to the transport and the wrapping inside a dark container they will not be used to the direct sunlight and too much direct sunlight immediately will cause sunburn.